View Single Post
starfishing

Member Since May 2017
Default May 26, 2019 at 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopdog View Post
I don't get worked up about compatible values with others in real life with real people. I have strong opinions about any number of things but as long as someone else isn't trying to fob theirs off on me, I am willing to let them have whatever crazy ideas they want. I don't usually care about whether someone's values align with mine. I know what mine are and don't care what someone else's are. I have been good friends with people whose politics are as far from my own as possible for example.
So, to me, because I wouldn't care with a real person, I certainly wouldn't with a therapist.
I can definitely understand and respect that perspective. For me, there are many beliefs where it wouldn't matter if mine clashed with my therapist's (religion, opinions on art and literature, views on economic policy...) but also some where a significant clash would be a dealbreaker (homophobia, certain areas of biomedical ethics). And some in a grey area. A strong belief in homeopathy to the point of actively practicing it and recommending it to patients/clients would to me raise questions about whether this person can understand my worldview well enough to be an effective therapist for me.

But if I'd already decided based on our interactions that they were otherwise trustworthy and had acceptable judgment, then maybe I would decide a belief in homeopathy didn't matter. Though I'd still probably worry in that case that they might recommend homeopathy to me down the line, in which case all hell would probably break loose.
starfishing is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote