View Single Post
missbella
Grand Poohbah

Member Since Jun 2010
814 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 27, 2019 at 01:12 AM

My deep dive into my past (3x weekly analysis) taught me nothing I didn't already know, but instead habituated depression by dwelling in my most negative places. It also gave me a sense of entitlement--I expected the world to coddle me because I held so many victim chips.

I lost important lifelong friends feeling analysis made me so superior and living in such a pseudo world.

While I agree that childhood is part of our shaping, so are many other factors, our gender, society, our education, careers, peer, intimates and co-workers. We actually can join causes toward changing some of these conditions.

Ultimately my big self-absorption party was only detrimental. There were no practical changes in the present from living in the past. I think causality exploration in therapy is a parlor game. How can it be more than speculation?

I did free myself somewhat over time and distance from my early stifling, from minimizing my neediness (and the need to compete and impress) and through a few accomplishments. I don't think any mentor could have guided me; I had to find my own path. I "got to know myself" by going forward instead of backward.

I think therapy clients should do what they find useful. I don't consider it "resistance" or "denial" to focus on therapy projects other than going for the burn.

Last edited by missbella; May 27, 2019 at 02:23 AM..
missbella is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
BudFox, here today, koru_kiwi, Lrad123, Xynesthesia2