Legendary

Member Since Dec 2014
1,873 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 28, 2019 at 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisabel View Post
Don’t worry about defending yourself. You’re doing the best you can. Parenting is not easy. You have two kids who you probably raised quite similarly and yet they are both quite different... so even with our best efforts we never know how things will work out with our kids.

I’ve struggled with a relationship with my daughter. When she didn’t call or text... or even return calls or texts very often... this went on for years... I worked hard on my own hobbies and interests. It’s hard...

I’ve tried to focus on my other challenges and struggles and grow as much as I can. My daughter eventually started reaching out. It took time. Part of it was I needed to step back and respect her boundaries... part of it was I needed to expect her to also respect mine.

It’s still a struggle and a work in progress. The relationship is less than ideal. I’m with you in that I feel sad that my adult child is not a close part of my every day life. It’s hard to accept things for what they are but I think it gets easier for us when we do... or at least keep working on it and that’s the best we can do. [emoji3590][emoji3590][emoji3590]
When your daughter didn’t respond to your texts, were they texts that required response? Did she eventually respond? Did you need to text her again with the same question?

I know some people feel that texts should be answered immediately and get upset when people don’t. I don’t think that way. But, I think a reasonable amount of time like a day or two at most is definitely an expectation. With an email, I’d say even longer is acceptable.