View Single Post
cptsdwhoa
Veteran Member

Member Since Jul 2018
441 hugs
given
Default May 29, 2019 at 12:15 PM

I've been hospitalized multiple times. I've also been told that it's very likely it could be something that could happen again so I should be prepared for that.

I've learned to look at hospitalization as just a part of keeping myself well. It's not a guarantee that I'll ever need to go back, but I'm grateful it's there if I need the help in a crisis. It has helped me to get back on my feet before and hook me up with the services I needed to stay as independent as possible honestly. Maybe you could even do a Wellness Recovery Action Plan or something like that stating what you will and won't allow if you're ever hospitalized. That may help you feel like you still have some control in case of a mental health crisis.

In my experience the hospital really wasn't that bad. Some of my stays made me angry but not because of my treatment in the hospital. I was angry for just having to deal with mental illness, but I'm learning to accept it and deal as best I can. Honestly, though, most of my stays were quite pleasant now that I look back on it. Yeah, it wasn't ideal. However, I'm grateful I had a safe space to get help, get meds adjusted, and get the treatment I needed.

Every time I was hospitalized I had to stay for a mandatory period of 72 hours (if I remember correctly). That was to make sure I wasn't a danger and o monitor my illness. I got my meds adjusted, talked to doctors about my symptoms, went to different groups, and I was generally well taken care of. The only thing I really hated was being probated.

My stays typically lasted about a week or two to get back to functioning well. I haven't been in the hospital in almost four years though so I've made some great progress. The last stay was two weeks. One or two weeks seemed about average for myself and the other people I was with. But I think it just depends on the individual and what's best for them.

People have been okay with me after hospitalization. My friends who were true friends were really supportive. My family was okay though we're not very close. I've gotten some people who've been curious but never rude and their conversations are innocent enough questions. I've found most people to be pretty understanding. I've been much harder on myself than others have. Except for maybe my grandmother.
cptsdwhoa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote