Grand Poohbah

Member Since Jun 2010
814 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 29, 2019 at 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xynesthesia2 View Post
I have not finished the whole podcast yet but, so far, I have been struck by Marty's own involvement as well. It is hard for me to comprehend how someone can get so enmeshed for so long but I guess it's only me as I fail to relate to many other types of long-term interpersonal enmeshment and dependency also reported on this forum. I've grown to accept that it is just something I will probably never fully comprehend but can be very real/serious for many people (just like my substance addiction was for me).
I can't say how far the vulnerable, younger me would have followed Dr. Ike down the rabbit hole in the cause of "healing." I thought too long that others had a life wisdom I lacked, and my therapists played guru roles to the hilt.

Fortunately, friends' guidance saved me from my bully therapists, so, unlike Marty, I wasn't isolated. Marty also didn't have the internet when the relationship started. Reinforcement is critical when disentangling from a cult, I think.

Then there's the unsourced quote:
"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." Many people want divine figures and strong men.
missbella is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
here today, koru_kiwi, Quietmind 2, Xynesthesia2