Xynesthesia2
Veteran Member

Member Since Mar 2019
55 hugs
given
Default May 29, 2019 at 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missbella View Post
I can't say how far the vulnerable, younger me would have followed Dr. Ike down the rabbit hole in the cause of "healing." I thought too long that others had a life wisdom I lacked, and my therapists played guru roles to the hilt.

Fortunately, friends' guidance saved me from my bully therapists, so, unlike Marty, I wasn't isolated. Marty also didn't have the internet when the relationship started. Reinforcement is critical when disentangling from a cult, I think.

Then there's the unsourced quote:
"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." Many people want divine figures and strong men.
What I bolded is so critical, I think, and an area where many Ts are definitely in the wrong, for example when they try to enforce that clients don't see another T in parallel (so a second opinion) and don't take the content of therapy elsewhere. It can serve them well when they try to manipulate and dominate but blocks reality checks. My 2nd T was very realistic in this sense and never told me not to seek feedback and help elsewhere, he more encouraged the opposite and that was also my opinion. I got into some crazy and useless fights with my 1st T over this though, who definitely tried to play the authority and dominance games. I refused to engage in that pretty shortly though and told him bluntly that I was not interested and did not see the point, especially if the feedback and advice he gave made no sense to me and some could have even been detrimental (e.g. not to seek other support when I was stuck in a nasty addiction relapse) if followed.

I think many of these dictator-like Ts are deeply insecure deep down and often are drawn to the profession because they learn they would be able to manipulate and take advantage of confused and vulnerable clients. I am pretty convinced that anyone who want to be cult leaders and dictators fall either in that category or have psychopathic tendencies.
Xynesthesia2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
missbella

Thanks for this!
here today, koru_kiwi, missbella, Quietmind 2