View Single Post
Anonymous41422

Default May 29, 2019 at 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrad123 View Post
Today I told him that I didn’t think sending emails was helpful to me any more and that I’ve decided not to send them. He said he thought they had been helpful in the past and that I had been able to express myself in ways I never could in person and that it helped him understand me better. But if sending them caused shame and no longer felt helpful, then he didn’t want that. I think I was feeling shame because I could feel my face flush and my eyes water as I thought about how how intrusive my emails might have seemed (he said they were not) and how he said (after I asked) that his other clients don’t email with any significant content, only for scheduling. He thought maybe we were re-enacting something (maybe something with my parents) where I’d express a need for connection and not be heard. I said I didn’t need that any more and I didn’t want to give him the power to do that to me. He never once discouraged me from sending emails. In fact, he reminded me that that was our agreement- that I could send them and that he’d read them.
That sounds like a really brave conversation.

It’s so very hard when we want something badly and wish we didn’t.

I hope you’re able to determine which path is best for you and take it without regret or shame.

Your therapist seems to handle these situations beautifully.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Lrad123