Veteran Member

Member Since Oct 2011
1,231 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 30, 2019 at 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missbella View Post
Fortunately, friends' guidance saved me from my bully therapists, so, unlike Marty, I wasn't isolated. Marty also didn't have the internet when the relationship started. Reinforcement is critical when disentangling from a cult, I think.
i agree.... for me being able to find others on the internet who had or were going through something similar and sharing their stories is what gave me strength and helped me to start seeing the relationship with my T and therapy in a new light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xynesthesia2 View Post
I think, and an area where many Ts are definitely in the wrong, for example when they try to enforce that clients don't see another T in parallel (so a second opinion) and don't take the content of therapy elsewhere. It can serve them well when they try to manipulate and dominate but blocks reality checks.

I think many of these dictator-like Ts are deeply insecure deep down and often are drawn to the profession because they learn they would be able to manipulate and take advantage of confused and vulnerable clients. I am pretty convinced that anyone who want to be cult leaders and dictators fall either in that category or have psychopathic tendencies.
i experienced some of this with my ex-T. one example is when i told him about PC and another forum i was visiting, he wasn't too supportive of the idea and he even made an entry in my session notes , which i read years later after requesting them, to how he didn't think it was a good idea for me to visit the support forums. he knew i had a very minuscule support system in real life and that i found the forums helpful because it was one of the only places i felt safe that i could talk to others about my therapy and him. another example was when i wanted to seek out an alternative modality of therapy (neurofeedback) to help with my truama symptoms when talk therapy had stalled and my symptoms were becoming worse. he was hesitant to the idea, but i didn't care and was going to do it anyways with or without his blessing because i was absolutely desperate to get better. i didn't quite understand why he would not want that for me in spite of his own ego, but like you said, i reckon a lot of that came down to his deep insecurities.
koru_kiwi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
here today, missbella, Quietmind 2, Xynesthesia2