Lrad123
Poohbah

Member Since Nov 2017
372 hugs
given
Default May 30, 2019 at 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne2.0 View Post
He changed his mind about what he is willing to do because of the impact it had on her therapy (and seems to have been right about that, from Lrad's conclusion). Changing your mind about the utility of what you do as a professional, thinking about whether it serves the person, is what I expect any professional to do. Which is his right to do as person, and his obligation as a professional (to do the right thing), because he thinks it wasn't helpful to her. I think he's only trying to do the right thing here, and that doesn't mean he has to be "consistent" like Lrad is a toddler or can't handle change.
This seems about right, nevertheless, I was angry and I let him know it during our session this morning. Among other things, I said I thought he was 2-dimensional and lacking in complexity because he couldn’t figure out how to answer emails. He was completely accepting and welcoming of my anger and talked about how not being acknowledged sucks and how I’ve experienced that in my childhood where I was basically seen as an extension of my parents and was expected to fulfill their wishes (not because they were bad people, but perhaps because they didn’t know any better). I’m not sure how this will all go and how I’ll feel about it later on, but it was interesting. He talked about how he’s imperfect and how maybe I sometimes see him as inadequate. I think he was basically saying that everyone is imperfect but relationships and connection are worth the risk. He mentioned the scene from Parenthood (the movie) where the grandmother talks about how she prefers the thrill of the ups & downs of the rollercoaster to the merry-go-round which just goes in circles and how that relates to life. We ended up laughing a little about another scene from that movie.
Lrad123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
LonesomeTonight, SalingerEsme, SlumberKitty