Grand Magnate

Member Since Aug 2012
129 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 30, 2019 at 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrad123 View Post
This seems about right, nevertheless, I was angry and I let him know it during our session this morning.
. . . .
He was completely accepting and welcoming of my anger and talked about how not being acknowledged sucks and how I’ve experienced that in my childhood where I was basically seen as an extension of my parents and was expected to fulfill their wishes (not because they were bad people, but perhaps because they didn’t know any better). I’m not sure how this will all go and how I’ll feel about it later on, but it was interesting. He talked about how he’s imperfect and how maybe I sometimes see him as inadequate. .
I could be mis-reading you, but I'm curious about your response because it seems like you're suggesting that perceiving his responding to email as "cognitively" more reasonable and also talking about your emotional reactions to it are somehow mutually exclusive, or that I see them this way. And I sort of feel the need to explain that is certainly not how I view the situation. I think the whole point of this email thing is to both see it more complexly and accurately AND explore what arises in dealing with this at the same time. The cognitive piece is not a "fix" for the situation, as "get a grip" or otherwise pointing out that your T is not always adequate. You can still be pissed off about his inadequacy even if you agree that he's doing the right thing.
Anne2.0 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote