Elder

Member Since Jul 2017
9,930 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 31, 2019 at 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Happy crafter when I first read this I thought: " I am an alcoholic in recovery and I was not a bully..." but then I had to think about it for a minute. The chaos I brought with me was the same as bullying. Accusing my husband of dumping my alcohol when I had forgotten where I hid it or drank it up, fighting, letting my middle daughter get in the middle of our fights. Taking off when I didnt get my way, spending money we didnt have on alcohol, the lying. It was emotional bullying. There was no physical violence but I attribute that to my gentle husband. Any other man might have lost it with me. Making the whole family revolve around my self centered needs, it was all a form of emotional hijacking/bullying. I have made amends for my behavior and apart from the sincere apologies I try to make living amends by showing them I am not the same person I used to be. For me that involved AA but its not that way for everyone. I know that I have traumatized them all in some way and my middle daughter especially has her own addiction problems. I mostly let go of the guilt because it serves no real purpose other than making me feel like garbage, and I am so grateful that I have been forgiven but no one was under any obligation to forgive me. I hurt many people and I am glad that I have been given the opportunity to show I am not like that anymore. Part of me wishes it have never happened but I am such a different person now part of me wonders if I would have gotten to this point without all that strife. I love who I am now. And I am fairly sure they love me for who I have become now. But I wish I could have avoided causing all that pain to get here. I always thought of bullying in a different way until I read this thread and now I realize that I was a bully too. Thank you for sharing this.
@sarahsweets

Good for you for developing your self-awareness and taking the steps to get better. I am glad your family stood by you and are seeing your changes.

I agree on AA not being for everyone. I needed one on one therapy, plus hypnotherapy because the roots of my issues were deep and padlocked in place. But every tear I shed and every issues I pounded away about on my computer helps me continue to improve. I am grateful for the work I can do on my own.

On the pain we cause, girl, I hear you loud and clear. There are so many things I have done I wish I could go back and change. So, making amends is the path to make the best out of that possible so I keep my side of the street clean.

"Love you.
Take care of you.

Be true to you.

You are the only you,
you will ever know the best.

Reach for YOUR stars.

You can reach them better
than anyone else ever can."

Landon Clary Eason
Grateful Sobriety Fangirl Since 11-16-2007

Happy Sober Crafter
happysobercrafter is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote