View Single Post
starfishing

Member Since May 2017
Default Jun 04, 2019 at 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonesomeTonight View Post
I've been going twice a week for a year now, and I sometimes feel sort of guilty about that, and that I need to start going less often. At the same time, I don't want to (and am somewhat scared to decrease to, say, once a week.) So I understand the mixed emotions. I hope it helps you.
Thank you! I really empathize with that. I've been going twice a week for about a year and a half, and at first I felt really guilty about it--like I was cheating someone else by taking up two slots, wasting my therapist's time, and wasting money that I wouldn't need to spend if only I could somehow magically deal with everything myself, without therapy (or at least with less therapy).

I think that guilt finally decreased over time as I realized how much more useful material I was able to address by going more frequently, but it took a while and obviously I still have a lot of ambivalence about therapy in general. Honestly I think a lot of people would be better off with twice a week and might realize that if they gave it a try, and I wish it were an option for more people--I've gotten so much further and been able to open up so much more than I think I would have at once a week. Why do you feel like you should be going less often?

I'm realizing that part of it for me is knowing some people think going to therapy three times a week must mean someone is really ill, or going through a crisis, or otherwise dealing with something terrible. And I'm not--I'm doing well overall, no catastrophes.
starfishing is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
LonesomeTonight

Thanks for this!
LonesomeTonight