Wise Elder

Member Since Mar 2009
885 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 05, 2019 at 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheltiemom2007 View Post
I was diagnosed in 1990. I had a trauma therapist from 1990-1994 who made my disorder far, far worse by using regressive hypnosis. I then was institutionalized in a psych hospital for year. When I was discharged in 1995 I had a well respected DID psychologist who also taught new psychiatrists about DID and trauma. She taught my psychiatrist. She saved me by helping me create order out of a system in chaos. I now have a trauma therapist who is expert in EMDR. I integrated in 2013 but never used EMDR. It's a very different treatment than what I have been treated with. I'm uncomfortable with it.
Im sorry but I dont supply actual names and dates and other identifying information online. but I can tell you that I was diagnosed through diagnostic testing when I was taking a college psych course that required the students in the class to do an in class test, take that test to a mental health treatment provider of their choice, go through formal testing for actual diagnosis, enter therapy for the diagnosis's for at least the duration of that semester. since there were many in the class that planned on going on to become treatment providers this assignment was to show not only what its like to be a treatment provider but also what its like to be a client in therapy. the outcome for me was being diagnosed with DID and other mental disorders. I have since been integrated back into one whole personality again.

my opinion is that therapy isnt meant to be 100% fun and enjoyable. people go to therapy because they have a problem that they need help with, learning about a problem and digging into that problem is bound to be upsetting at times so to answer your question did I like my treatment, not always. the part I did enjoy was the fact that I had a huge part in my healing path, it wasnt like a treatment provider telling me I must do this that and the other thing. we worked together as a team and still do.
amandalouise is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote