View Single Post
Anonymous45634

Default Jun 06, 2019 at 10:36 AM

honestly, if it is a chain place you can run it up to corporate, if it's private, your recourse is to complain to eeo agencies or the media but honestly you probably won't get far. she DID offer you accommodations to listen to the tape, even if they failed to meet your standards.

not saying she is a wonderful employer but my experience is that you can't just run to a lawyer or to hr (if this is a local place they don't have hr)…it is why I asked if this is a first job...work is hard, and not every boss is kind and friendly. not every place is fun. some people are jerks. sorry. being disabled myself I could tell you some horror stories of my own.

there are times when you need to suck it up and stand your ground. like I said, work is work, poster didn't answer when I asked if this was her first job..if she is young and asking for special accommodations (albeit legal ones) some places might take offense to that, even tho they should not.

it's a pizza place. more then likely if she threatens legal action (assuming it is not a chain) they will say if you are not happy then you are free to leave. she gets bonus points if they fire her..then she should RUN not walk to the lawyer. then there is a case...not a great one but a case.

it's nice to say go to hr, go to the media, sue etc but in reality that just doesn't work all the time. some companies are great and will bend over to accommodate you, others not so much. it's hit or miss. even in the government. yes they are required to do so, but that is not a guarantee. do you want to be known as the employee who every time there is an issue they ran to management, or hr if there is one? yes disability can require adjustment at work. been there, got the shirt, but sometimes, the employee has to adjust as well. the onus is not always on the employer. i have severe asthma...in theory my employer should let me know if there will be a hazard in my workplace, but on the other hand, i should be aware enough to know that if i see guys painting to not walk up to them. each side needs to be accountable.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote