View Single Post
divine1966
Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2014
1,279 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 06, 2019 at 07:11 PM

Sometimes people don’t want to share details because they don’t want to be influenced either way. It’s not necessarily not wanting to hear negative opinions.

Overly positive opinions could be useless too

I once was in a relationship with alcoholic. But when I shared with people I got responses from my then therapist and my family: just because you don’t drink it doesn’t mean others can’t enjoy it, just because we don’t drink much in our cultures it doesn’t mean other cultures can’t enjoy it, if he can keep high profile job then he isn’t a drunk, what do you care if he drinks. Etc etc I stayed longer than I should because I thought I just had unrealistic expectations of other people’s drinking. So I ignore one of my normal deal breakers and went along with it because I listened to others and assumed it’s no big deal.

Sometimes listening to yourself is more important. It’s also important to have clear deal breakers versus some maybe less than stellar things but you can tolerate them. Not every red flag is a deal breaker.

I’d not remain in relationship in hopes someone changes. Life is too short to waste it in hopes someone changes. But I’d look into deal breakers. If some things are unpleasant for you but aren’t deal breakers then you can see if you can
Accept them. That’s very individual. That’s why it doesn’t matter what we think. Our deal breakers are different from yours

Unless you are in danger there is no need to leave right now. Just look into what you can live with (protect your finances in a meanwhile)
divine1966 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote