View Single Post
Xynesthesia2
Veteran Member

Member Since Mar 2019
55 hugs
given
Default Jun 07, 2019 at 05:27 AM

Primarily about alcohol use. But with that, it also came:

Yes, I've lied about how bad I really feel (due to the physical effects, shame and anxiety)
Yes, I've lied about my symptom severity (obvious)
Yes, I've lied about my insecurities and doubts about myself (that I would never beat the addiction)
Yes, I've lied about why I missed appointments/was late (I cancelled some due to being hangover or drunk and made up a reason or just canceled and no explanation)
Yes, I've pretended to find therapy more effective than I do (obvious)

If I did not have the alcohol relapses, I probably would not have lied about anything as I never had a problem talking about anything else. Also, virtually no symptoms when I am stably sober, or pretty mild (some anxiety). I really get the doubts and debates among therapists that there is little use for therapy when a client is in active substance addiction, especially if they lie about it. It colored and distorted everything for me and no amount of other honest introspection was truly useful with that problem in the center of everything and actually causing most of my other issues. I am not much of a liar sober, but active addicts are definitely some of the worst liars and manipulators. This is why I always say therapy would have been more effective for me if the Ts called me out on that BS. They certainly knew about my addiction, that was the first things I told them when I contacted. They did not know about the relapses but the way I juggled and distracted the whole therapy must have been full of red flags - I recognize those in my peers. Anyhow, I just think traditional weekly psychotherapy is mostly useless for active addiction, for many reasons.
Xynesthesia2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote