Veteran Member

Member Since Oct 2011
1,231 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 07, 2019 at 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xynesthesia2 View Post
Interesting that, thus far, the poll shows the predominant lie is about suicide.
i'm actually not surprised that suicidal ideation or suicide would be high on the topics to lie about. it was one that i lied about often with my ex-T for fear of being hospitalised or him terminating with me. he knew i had suicidal thoughts, but he never knew the extent of my ideation or that i even had a plan in place at point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xynesthesia2 View Post
I know that some Ts are afraid of this topic, avoid it, and prefer to send the medics or the police out when they hear about suicidal ideations rather than hearing and discussing themselves. It is understandable course, but all that will be sensed and known about clients and they will avoid talking about something that, IMO, should be a primal topic in psychotherapy. I personally believe that suicidal ideations are natural and it is more surprising if they never come up in someone's mind. It's more the extent of it, what context, and how people handle/react to the thoughts and feelings. Again, very sad that many Ts are unable/unwilling to handle such a basic human feature. I understand the responsibility factor(and fear, avoidance) but... some on, choosing that profession and not dealing with this one or just comfortably delegating it?! Very disappointing, at the minimum. Of course people are afraid of sharing such thoughts because it is generally not accepted and avoided in society.
i agree with your observations. it's an incredibly taboo topic and my T seemed quite uncomfortable when i tried to bring it up. it took a long time for me to 'feel him out' before i could find the courage and start being honest about my thoughts and feelings, and even then i couldn't fully divulge the entire truth.

with the high rates of suicides world wide, it's quite worrisome that Ts are not handling this topic very well.
koru_kiwi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Xynesthesia2