View Single Post
FearLess47

Member Since Apr 2019
267 hugs
given
Default Jun 08, 2019 at 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty_Banana View Post
This may or may not be relevant.My husband and I were talking recently about before I was given the diagnosis and before integration.He was saying how he didn't know it was DID or even anything "wrong" with me,that it was just me and who and how I was since he first met me many years ago when I was just 18.

I guess that is relevant afterall now that I wrote it.If my own husband didn't think of it as anything out of the ordinary would there have been any reason to share my diagnosis with anyone else after I received it? He knew and saw my different parts,even tucked in a young one at night but never once thought wow,she has multiple personality disorder(or DID),he just saw it as who/how I was.

Even when I was working,one time a coworker was talking about Little Betty but she talked like it was just a cute,quirky thing.She didn't ask or say there was anything going on with my mental health.

When people know someone very well they just accept them as they are,they just learn that's how they are as a person and don't really put much thought into it.Just the same as we learn and see how other people behave and react and know that's just how they are.Like my husband,I know when he's really upset his behvior is way different.Or someone else giggles like a little girl when she's excited about something.To my husband I acted like a little girl at bedtime and wanted tucked in right from the very beginning.He expected it and accepted it as who I was.

So in my opinion what's the point in telling people if they already know you?If they've known you awhile then they've already seen it all.
This is so interesting and hi Betty_Banana! My husband and I have been together for 13 years. I know he "knows" something but he doesn't know he knows. If that makes sense. He knows I have severe dissociation but he doesn't even really know what that means. I have not yet told him about the DID because I think it would freak him out right now...and/or he wouldn't believe it. He doesn't always believe in therapy, or that I need meds, and is a very logical, straight thinking person. We are quite different. That said, I think his insides KNOW that I am figuring some stuff out. And he appreciates that I now have a really solid therapist and psych to help me sort it out. And I figure that it will be quite a natural thing as we go along.

Interestingly though, I do find that more and more is making sense (to me) about my life. And that the people who are closest to me, while they may reject the DID or have fear or weird reactions, I believe they too would have some lightbulb, ah ha moments about me and my behaviors over the years.

It's not an easy science. Just like diagnosis and treatment. Such a range of experiences!

FearLess47

Hugs from:
Betty_Banana

Thanks for this!
QueenConfusion