View Single Post
feralkittymom
Grand Magnate

Member Since Aug 2012
1,974 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 08, 2019 at 08:47 PM

IDK. But I didn't have PTSD. That seems to be a bigger issue when children were abused at younger ages (like before @ 4 yrs old) and seems to correlate with subsequent developmental disorders like BPD. It seems like this program only addresses the emotional dis-regulation on a symptom level. It doesn't appear to actually deal with the underlying issues, but just manage the overwhelming nature of the reaction to doing the actual therapy. So I don't think it replaces therapy or makes therapy not needed.

I'm also not a fan of "inner child" or "parts" work. I realize it's become more popular now than when I was in therapy, especially as combined with somatic work. But separating the self into parts has never made much sense to me as a theoretical paradigm. I preferred to work cognitively. My T based his interventions on helping me to summon up my adult strengths to cope with the overwhelming emotions. But I was not impulsive and didn't have problems with ongoing SI or any sort of SH. I didn't experience the splitting that is more common with abuse at developmentally younger ages.

Would your T work through this program with you as the info suggests?
feralkittymom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote