View Single Post
Rose76
Legendary

Member Since Mar 2011
5,341 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 09, 2019 at 03:36 AM

I have a pretty serious mood disorder. Usually it's been labeled "dysthymia" and even "major depressive disorder." Once, after knowing me for a few years, this one pdoc said I was probably bipolar. I've been given "mood stabilizing" drugs, none of which did any good. (Lamictal, Seroquel and others.)

I'm having frequent, severe mood swings. I used to get hypomanic quite often, and could accomplish a lot when I did. I also have episodes of irritability that are serious. That seems to be what finally got that one pdoc to call me bipolar. I wonder if getting diagnosed as bipolar would do me any good, or lead to more effective treatment?

I'm becoming a wreck. For years, I'm on a tricyclic - amitriptyline - that did help me sleep better and get through depressive episodes quicker. But I'm still in and out of being a wreck. When I'm not in a depressive episode, I can feel about as good as any well person - very upbeat. But, lately, I can't sustain feeling okay for 3 consecutive days. This severe mood swinging is getting worse to where life hardly seems worth the trouble.

I think I disguise it fairly well around most people. But at home, with my S.O., it's on full display. He keeps saying, "What's wrong with you?" I had thought that was just a figure of speech he used when we were feuding. But now I think he means it literally. I see a pdoc next month. I hate to risk telling the pdoc that I may be more disturbed than I've conveyed to him. I don't trust doctors at all. I've had some bad experiences with psychiatrists.

So here I am in the bipolar forum, asking if getting diagnosed as bipolar led to you being able to improve your life? Any answers will be appreciated.
Rose76 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
MickeyCheeky, unaluna, Wild Coyote

Thanks for this!
MickeyCheeky, Wild Coyote