View Single Post
WishfulThinker66
Magnate

Member Since Jun 2018
117 hugs
given
Default Jun 09, 2019 at 08:47 AM

Do you ever feel hesitant to make an online acquaintance? Does friending someone ever feel the wrong thing to do? Do you ever feel an obligation to do so? If this does happen, how do you tend to deal with it?

For example, I keep getting friended by the son of a very close family friend. I feel pressured to accept even though it goes against my judgement to do so. But I do despite the reluctance. It always backfires. This man is extremely conservative. We are talking the alt-right sort of thing. He is disturbing to me. He has made some extreme comments against people who are different - race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, and so on. His favourite target are those with more liberal thoughts - like myself. I have unfollowed him on account of his difficult posts. He will message me to forward some truly awful memes expressing his outrageous views too. And so he is blocked and deleted. Well he is a grown man in his late 40s perhaps even 50 now - and he still is a mommy's boy. Quite obviously he turns to his mother and whines on about this. Because I hear back from my father about how I am being unfair to him. So, when he next tries to friend me I bite the bullet and again accept - and the pattern continues.

Another example is a friend's husband. I just know the only reason he has friended me is to keep an eye out on his wife (he is the similar type as above just add abusive and mysogonistic to the list). I have unfriended him too and it gets back to me. He obviously expresses his displeasure to his wife and has forbidden her to contact me unless I keep him as a friend.

These are pretty extreme examples. I have wondered if others experience the same to any degree.
WishfulThinker66 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous43949, KD1980, Taylor27, TunedOut