Veteran Member

Member Since Oct 2011
1,231 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 09, 2019 at 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missbella View Post

I had a bumpy separation though, like Marty’s shrink, mine tried to manipulate me into staying. My self-recrimination was large, realizing how duped I was by therapists. I can’t imagine how Marty feels.

I read in an author interview that Marty has an active grievance, and the psychiatrist still practices. I searched the internet for professional discussion of the podcast and found none.
When i was ready to start having the conversation about termination and asked what the process looked like, my T was quick to point out all my unfinished business i had instead of focusing on any of the positive progress i had made over the years. this really bothered me and my initial reaction after that conversation left a feeling that he was wanting to hold me back and didn't want to encourage me to end 'our' therapy anytime soon. it felt manipulative. and the day that I told him i was ready to officially end, he again responded looking at the negatives, trying to convince me there was till plenty of work to do. i told him he was correct, that there will always be issues to address, but i felt confident to address them with out having to pay for therapy. if he wanted me to continue with therapy with him, i was willing to continue, but i no longer would be paying for it...no surprise, he wasn't too keen to take me up on that offer.

i can't believe that this shrink is still practicing. hopefully that will change as more people hear this story. I'm not too surprised to hear that there is not much of a buzz about this story among the professionals. i suspect they would rather this not get too much press. when the podcast first came out, i saw a reference to it on r/therapists (a reddit sub for therapists) but only a handful of members even commented, which was a bit disappointing.
Anybody listening to The Shrink Next Door podcast? : therapists
koru_kiwi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
missbella

Thanks for this!
missbella, Quietmind 2, Xynesthesia2