View Single Post
Poiuytl

Member Since May 2019
Default Jun 10, 2019 at 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TishaBuv View Post
Yes, especially when they are elderly! They are never going to change, there’s no more arguing with them. At an old age, they feel entitled to do whatever the heck they want to do and won’t hear any criticism from anybody. You can stay no contact, you can keep tip-toe distant contact, you can grin and bear it. It is so hard to want real understanding and real love and it’s impossible to get.
Yes, I think that's what we all feel about parents or people in general, once they have reached a certain age. They feel entitled, but in many ways it also becomes easier for them to manipulate. They give us the feeling that they might die anytime soon, and you will hasten their demise by having earnest discussions. I feel I should get rid of this sentiment. I try to talk with my mother as if she was 30, even though she's 80. I actually think that should help her live longer. It kind of gives her at least jolts of energy when I become assertive. She protests and hardens, but sometimes she also softens a bit. Maybe to have absolutely contact should be reserved for cases even worse than my mother, or maybe I just cannot let go completely because my own feelings are mixed.
Poiuytl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous43949

Thanks for this!
Blknblu, TishaBuv