Veteran Member

Member Since Oct 2011
314 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 11, 2019 at 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearLess47 View Post
This is so interesting and hi Betty_Banana! My husband and I have been together for 13 years. I know he "knows" something but he doesn't know he knows. If that makes sense. He knows I have severe dissociation but he doesn't even really know what that means. I have not yet told him about the DID because I think it would freak him out right now...and/or he wouldn't believe it. He doesn't always believe in therapy, or that I need meds, and is a very logical, straight thinking person. We are quite different. That said, I think his insides KNOW that I am figuring some stuff out. And he appreciates that I now have a really solid therapist and psych to help me sort it out. And I figure that it will be quite a natural thing as we go along.

Interestingly though, I do find that more and more is making sense (to me) about my life. And that the people who are closest to me, while they may reject the DID or have fear or weird reactions, I believe they too would have some lightbulb, ah ha moments about me and my behaviors over the years.

It's not an easy science. Just like diagnosis and treatment. Such a range of experiences!

FearLess47
Hi there.Yeah,it makes sense that you know your husband knows something but he doesn't know he knows.

And I don't think most people even know or understand what DID is to be able to recognize it when it's right in front of them.Even many that have it don't recognize what it is,I had no clue that's what I had.I thought my therapist was a quack when he gave me the diagnosis.I easily accepted the PTSD dx after I researched what it actually was but the DID didn't seem possible to me.

I think I would possibly be able to recognize it in someone now,maybe not though.As I was trying tp say before when we get to know someone we accept(but I think the right word is expect?)them to be who/how they are.When they behave in the same ways when they're mad,sad, frightened,whatever, I think it would be hard to know whether that's just how they are or if it's a disorder.Even if someone goes into a child state at times I think it would be hard to know,like my husband has PTSD and I've seen him in a child state at times,talking like a little kid,but he doesn't have DID.
Betty_Banana is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
FearLess47

Thanks for this!
FearLess47