View Single Post
Anonymous40643

Default Jun 12, 2019 at 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TishaBuv View Post
That’s a tough one, if you’re not on the same page about money and married! You can’t stop him from opening credit cards and charging them up and you are still responsible for his debt, even if you aren’t even a user on the CC. You are responsible for all the debt he incurs while you are married and vice versa. I’m not 100% sure about these laws, but it really scares me, if your spouse can’t be trusted and isn’t on the same page.

If you are the responsible one in charge of his spending, this creates an unhealthy dynamic in the marriage, too. Now you are like his parent... not good.

You can maintain separate bank accounts if you need to. You can come up with a system for paying bills that works for you both.

It’s not trusting a spouse to not make debt and bad credit that concerns me.

If I were dating today, I’d want to do a credit and background check on my prospects! Kidding, but really not kidding.
Hi Tisha. It's not like that.

Our finances are mainly separate, with some shared expenses. He is responsible for his own debt and bills and so am I.

It's more so that he is the big spender, doesn't know how to save or budget very well, so I budget for us. I am not acting as his mother, but I do have to be firm about not accruing more debt, paying down debt and budgeting.

I have my concerns, and yes, one is financial, but we've agreed to pay down debts and he's agreed to respect my spending limits.

I really don't want to cast negativity onto my marriage at this point. I have my concerns, and one is financial, but it's under control at the moment. Overall, I do feel better than when I first started this thread.

Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Bill3

Thanks for this!
TishaBuv