View Single Post
stormyisland

Member Since Jul 2018
17 hugs
given
Default Jun 12, 2019 at 08:33 AM

I think it's quite worrying that all the therapists you have contact have said they wouldn't feel able to help you with this. I think most therapists, at least in the psychodynamic/analytic field should feel that transference and intense attachment issues are their bread and butter. It's totally central to therapy and working with it should be familiar to all therapists. In theory you should be able to change your attachment issues in therapy, it's called neuroplasticity. If you're interested in learning more about it, have a look at a podcast called Therapist uncensored. I've become a bit addicted since it's all about attachment and the science behind it. So fascinating.

As for your experience itself, I totally empathise with you. I struggle with very intense attachment issues although they are slightly different. Mine tend to be a tendency to cling onto potential mother figures and to become so obsessed in them that I'll spend hours finding any little bit of information about then or their family members on the internet and can't sleep and feel constant agitation and intrusive thoughts around this. I had 9 months of unsuccessful therapy to try and fix this. Needless to say I became totally obsessed with my therapist to the point where it started to ruin my life. The only good day I'm the week was the day before therapy. The therapy day was anxious anticipation and then afterwards unbearable pain having to deal with the separation and being apart for a week. My therapist was confident in being able to help me with this but wasn't able to help me with a rupture we had that resulted in me terminating the therapy. I felt she was unreliable.. forgot to reply to texts, promised things she then didn't do and then finally didn't act in anyway when I told her I was suicidal and she knew I was high risk for acting on these thoughts. Obviously I didn't so maybe her risk analysis was correct. I could never forgive her for leaving me alone in that situation though especially after the multiple small issues where I felt she'd let me down. I'm still unsure about whether I did the right thing with termination but felt that with my mental health deteriorating steadily in the nine months I saw her she probably just didn't know what she was doing. I'm now starting again with an obsession over my psychiatrist. It is so difficult and depressing and tiring to have this problem. And it's hard to explain to anyone that hasn't suffered from this kind of a thing how deep this need can be and how difficult it is to fight against it. It feels like trying to tell myself not to breath.

I'm still hopeful this can be resolved. I'm on a waiting list to start therapy again. If I were you I would keep looking for a therapist who is experienced in dealing with attachment issues. Hopefully you will find the right match. Good luck!
stormyisland is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
LonesomeTonight, thesnowqueen

Thanks for this!
LonesomeTonight, precaryous