View Single Post
sarahsweets
Threadtastic Postaholic

Member Since Dec 2018
192 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 13, 2019 at 11:28 AM

I think empathy can mean a few things. I think if you have had an experience that someone else has had you can almost feel the way they do, good or bad. I think like wishful said you can take on these feelings as your own which is where being mindful comes into play. Feelings are not facts. Feeling someone else's pain or joy does not mean it is our own. Which is why its important to try and remain objective if you can. I think its a true skill when you can feel empathy and not make those feelings your own personal feelings. I am much better with this. For example: My struggles with alcoholism have made me very empathetic to other addicts but not to the point where their feelings or actions control my feelings. This is why I am dedicated to helping other addicts. In the past before I got sober I would be involved in too much of other people's business and that was a problem. Many times it wasn't my business. Its hard to tell the difference sometimes. Empathy is a double edged sword sometimes. You feel these feelings and its hard not to take them on. When I find myself taking them on I need to take a step back and really decide if its worth it for me to be that invested. Its almost like a skill, learning when to let things go. It is hard being very empathetic though because whether you like it or not sometimes these feelings affect you.

President of the no F's given society.
sarahsweets is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Blknblu, Iloivar