View Single Post
WishfulThinker66
Magnate

Member Since Jun 2018
117 hugs
given
Default Jun 13, 2019 at 05:34 PM

At what point does a moderator step in and close a thread out of concern for the original poster's emotional health a welfare?

I speak of threads where it is quite clear that some sort of delusion or psychosis exists. Does it do the OP any service to stand by a watch the hoards offer repeated validation and encouragement for such far fetched and at times what can be harmful thoughts. At what point then does the site simply shut things down and insist the OP get help?

I realise we are a community of persons with mental illness. I realise everyone is due their voice. I realise the purpose of this site is to be supportive.

But, how supportive are we being when we play into, validate, and encourage what is pretty far fetched and obviously not real? Wouldn't the supportive thing to do be closing the thread and addressing the issue with the OP? Wouldn't the kindest and most supportive thing be to identify for the person a problem exists and make effort to advise them to seek help?

And what about the rest of us - those who see the posts for what they are and do in fact realise they are far fetched, unrealistic, and likely a fabric of the imagination made up and otherwise. Do we bite our lips and let the blood run out of not wishing to start something or be offensive? Are we being out of place for raising the very fact that things might not be as they seem?

I think it starts with the moderators. I don't think the responsibility should be in the hands of the regular membership.

I truly think this ought to be up for discussion and consideration amongst those who operate this site.

It is really upsetting to see these things and know the individual is neither being addressed nor getting help. It is also difficult to see the pats on the back, validation, and encouragement for such thinking. It definitely does not help the original poster, it certainly isn't supporting them, and thus can be seen as a detriment.

Please then take this under consideration. If you already have guidelines about this, I apologise - but I am not seeing any demonstration of them in fact existing.

Hugs from:
Anonymous40643, Anonymous49426, divine1966, Fuzzybear, happysobercrafter

Thanks for this!
amandalouise, divine1966, happysobercrafter, HowDoYouFeelMeow?, luvyrself, seesaw, Spirit of Trees