Grand Magnate

Member Since Aug 2012
129 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 14, 2019 at 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonesomeTonight View Post
Having been trained in journalism (and having worked in the field), I certainly know how to ask follow-up questions. But generally, "Do you have any pets?" isn't replied to with "yes." Someone might say "I have a cat" or "Not now, but I used to have a dog" or whatever. He knows me--he knows I want specifics. He could have just shared. I took his reply as being that he didn't want to share.
The other points in this thread suggest that the issue is not your professional training or competence, which I'm sure you are terrific at. I find it difficult to believe that you can't see the problem with your assumption about how people "generally" reply. This is something you have clung to before ("this is how people are supposed to communicate") and I think starting out from such problem assumptions is going to mess up communication with others.

Your attitude that "he could have just shared" removes any responsibility you have for asking for what you want to know, rather than feeling entitled to receive it. Exactly how difficult would it have been for you to ask a simple question, "what kinds of pets do you have?" Seems much simpler to me than blaming your t for "not disclosing."

Point is, you could have shared more of yourself by asking a question. Communication with your T's and the problems surrounding that have been a repeated theme in your therapy. It seems like mostly this centers around what you get back from T.

My experience has been that if I want more intimate, satisfying, and less conflicted relationships, I need to look at what I put out there and what I can do differently. Those are the things that I can control and changing them does change the way people respond to me.

If you want your relationships to be different, you have to be different. This is a concrete example of something small you could have done differently. Maybe it's not worthwhile at this point to do it differently, but IMO understanding that you could have done it differently and that it might have made a different makes sense to do. Your mileage may vary.
Anne2.0 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
ArtleyWilkins, DP_2017, unaluna, Xynesthesia2