Human

Member Since Apr 2014
1,263 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 14, 2019 at 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishfulThinker66 View Post
Seesaw, you have raised a very good point. I can think of several individuals who are or have spouted off some very alarming threads about harming other people or otherwise espousing violence. There was a fellow not that long ago obviously an incel and his posts went on for far too long without anything done about them. This sort of thing ought to have been shut down immediately. There are others that have spouted off some pretty extreme and hurtful thinking. Why are such things tolerated; yet those pointing out the inappropriate nature of the threads and forum behaviours are the ones chastised and shut down?

I realise one needs to tread carefully in such matters. I repeat, however, that validating pats on the back are not the answer. We absolutely should never then encourage the individual other than to urge them to get help. I don't think it a great effort for a thread to be closed - with full explanation of course - and the OP reached out to.
Right, I agree. I know that moderators can't do anything if we don't report our concerns. So make sure to hit the little report button and let them know. If it continues and escalates, I will send a specific report to a moderator or DocJohn. I'm not sure what else we can do. Honestly, I considered reporting something to an actual authority at one point, not sure what they could do, but knowing at least I would have reported it and possibly that could help.

I mean, we're all anonymous IP addresses, there isn't much PC moderators can do besides put the person on moderation to check their posts before they post.

Again, I think it goes back to being responsible for our own community and reporting things that we see and not just assuming a moderator sees it. They don't have time to read every thread. They rely on us raising things up to them to check out.

Seesaw

What if I fall? Oh, my dear, but what if you fly?

Primary Dx: C-PTSD and Severe Chronic Treatment Resistant Major Depressive Disorder
Secondary Dx: Generalized Anxiety Disorder with mild Agoraphobia.

Meds I've tried: Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Wellbutrin, Risperidone, Abilify, Prazosin, Paxil, Trazadone, Tramadol, Topomax, Xanax, Propranolol, Valium, Visteril, Vraylar, Selinor, Clonopin, Ambien

Treatments I've done: CBT, DBT, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), Talk therapy, psychotherapy, exercise, diet, sleeping more, sleeping less...

Hugs from:
happysobercrafter

Thanks for this!
happysobercrafter, unaluna