WishfulThinker66
Magnate

Member Since Jun 2018
117 hugs
given
Default Jun 14, 2019 at 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTrees View Post
PC is not a form of treatment or intervention. That's very clearly stated. The mods are neither doctors nor psychologists in clinical practice here. They are not here to treat people. It's just a place for people to come and get support and connection. If we don't want to support someone telling tall tales or in the midst of psychosis, we don't have to.

We aren't here to fix people. We can't. We are faceless strangers on a website.

The moderators aren't trained or authorized to assess people's mental health here. Same with suicidal ideation, for example. People can post about feeling like they'd rather die but PC is not the place to get an intervention. That does not mean that suicidal folks can't come here for comfort, right?

You mentioned psychosis, Wishful Thinker. If someone is truly psychotic, they don't know so. And intervention only works if a person actually sees a need for it. Though PC is also not a place of intervention.
I realise this all too well Silvertrees. However, encouraging the OP to continue with their misguided delusional thinking is NOT appropriate - especially when there exists a very real risk to themselves and others.

I understand validating someone's emotional pain and suffering, but this shouldn't be happening in such cases as I have described. This is why it is absolutely essential it be nipped in the bud early on. I believe that is in fact a responsibility of a moderator and that is what they sign on to do.