View Single Post
Anonymous40643

Default Jun 15, 2019 at 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I am a firm believer that we teach others how to treat us. I dont mean victims of abuse and neglect are responsible for this treatment, I mean once we take our power back its up to us to set boundaries and hold people accountable. This is easier said then done. For me I learn through pain and consequence. The most important lessons I have learned are the most painful but when I come out on the other side I am able to see that they propelled me into change-mostly positive. That is how I view sobriety and my relapse many years ago. I was a horrible two weeks but I am not the same person I used to be, I am stronger and better. I am not the kind of asshole who will tell people they need to suck it up and stand up for themselves. When you are in the midst of abuse you feel helpless and are a victim. Hopefully people are able to gain perspective(with help, self awareness and maybe therapy) in order to feel strong enough to set those boundaries. I had to learn that other people's behavior was not my responsibility and what other people think of me is none of my business.

I agree. I bent over backwards to help my ex, and what happened? He took advantage of me. I gave him my heart on a silver platter without much thought or skepticism, and I got burned badly.

Now I'm learning how to strengthen my boundaries. It was a very tough experience to have had. I lost myself, my self-respect, my self-esteem, a lot of money and went through much heartache as a result of my mistake in getting involved.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
sarahsweets