View Single Post
corrida666

Member Since Sep 2014
Default Jun 15, 2019 at 01:31 PM

I'm used to being in control of my life but not it feels the exact opposite. This is a vent post.

I moved to a foreign country after a long long-distance relationship with my bf. I'm glad about the move, I like the country, its not so far from my home one anyway, only think I hate is the language - one really difficult to learn.

We've been living together in a rental flat for a year and it was fantastic. We've got engaged few months ago and bought a flat that needs few months of work before we can move in. For that time, it has been decided to move in with my fiancé's parents. I was never ok with that honestly, but it felt like a smart choice financially. We've been with them for 5 months now. It was fine at the beginning but now with every day I feel more and more hopeless. I can't communicate with the in laws cause we do not speak the same language. I am learning theirs but it is really, really difficult. I struggle. Itdo not enjoy it. I use to learn Spanish and I loved it. But with this language it's just feels like a lost cause.

The in laws are nice people and they try to make it work. My fiancé's sister who is a working professional lives too (not temporarily). I'm almost 30 and I've been independent and living one my own since I was 18, now I feel like a teenager again, not in control of my day, being told what to eat, interviewed why do I go out of the house, my job is being belittled (I sometimes do home office and have flexible hours, in laws dont consider it a real job). It seems like especially I can't make my MIL happy. I do not eat the fatty unhealthy food she cooks and she always take is so personally, even tho she knows I can't per doctors orders. When I make food for myself she says it makes her sad that I don't eat what she makes. Every time I go to the kitchen she scrutinises me. I used to absolutely love to cook but now I almost never do. I used to announce few days before that I will make dinner for everybody on a given day just so she doesn't get upset that I cook. But even then I could feel she doesn't like that I use her kitchen. My FIL is mordibly obese and I just can't watch like the whole family just stuffs unhealthy food on to him every day...

Another thing I can't stand is how the MIL is a server and the only house cleaner of the family. Both MIL and FIL are retired, yet FIL sits in front of the TV all day while MIL does all the work. The sister also does NOTHING. MIL serves her food like a waiter every time she comes back from work. I've been raised in a completely different household where everybody including my dad had to do chores so this situation is just driving me nuts. I was determined to help MIL but she told me many times not to. I come to kitchen to wash the dishes or whatever and she stores in tells me she will do it. I gave up after a while.

The sister is treated like a princess. She doesn't help in the house, never made as much as a sandwich for herself, has to be driven around even tho she has a driving license... I'm expected to postpone my plans with my fiancee cause he has to drive her somewhere where she could just take the metro!

I feel like the most petty person on the planet, *****ing about people who let me stay in their house for free. I can't talk to them. I can't explain what I want, what I do. I know I brought it upon myself by moving to a foreign country but damn, i was really dumb to agree to this living situation. Its affecting my relationship. My fiance is great and he understands my problems. He just says I need to get through few more months. I feel like I will snap before that. I'm the one sitting at a table at every Saturday lunch not understanding what they are talking about. The sister doesn't even talk to me at all and cuts the convo quickly when I try to engage (she speaks ok English). I feel out of control and it bothers me so much. I just stay in our room for most days after work and watch TV. All the things I love to do (ég taking long walks, planting herbs, joga) is gone now cause in laws think its weird and I can't stand all the judgemental looks and questions my bf gets on 'why is she doing this'. I just want to be left alone. I'm afraid I will alienate my fiance cause I already started blaming him for this situation. He is in charge of flat renovation since I can't talk to the workers cause of the language barrier. He is not in a rush at all. Every time I push him to do more or talk me through what's happening he says he's tired and overworked and will do it another time.

I don't know how to handle this anymore. I couldn't be in charge of my own birthday party for christs sake. I ended up eating nothing cause MIL served deep fried food that I can't eat. I don't want to fall into depression and ruin my relationship.

Sorry for my English, I'm not a native.
corrida666 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous44076, Fuzzybear, hvert, KD1980, MickeyCheeky, unaluna

Thanks for this!
Fuzzybear, MickeyCheeky