View Single Post
Anonymous40643

Default Jun 16, 2019 at 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seesaw View Post
Golden_eve, I think there's something else to consider: your abuser groomed you to want their approval. At some point early on in the relationship, they did give you validation and love, probably a lot, and you stay in the relationship despite the abuse because you think that if you just act the right way and give them what they want, they will be their old, nice selves. They withhold love and validation to get what they want from you, and it is, indeed, abusive. They groom you so that you have to get your validation from them so they can manipulate and control you.

And yes, it's hard to unlearn. And your subject line is spot on: we don't need to base our value and self-worth on the opinions of others.

Thanks, seesaw! This is something I hadn't ever known or even considered... the validation part. I never accepted his abuse- I always stood up to him.

But he was in fact manipulating me to need his approval and validation -- YES.

He provided a LOT of that early on... validated my worth and value as a person constantly.

Then in one fell swoop, he took it all away. He invalidated our entire relationship, demeaning the value and importance of our relationship and by extension, devaluing ME.

Last edited by Anonymous40643; Jun 16, 2019 at 11:20 AM..
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
lightly toasted, seesaw

Thanks for this!
seesaw