View Single Post
Anonymous43089

Default Jun 16, 2019 at 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divine1966 View Post
Interesting. Have you ever shared with people your lack of emotional reaction? I suspect it wouldn’t be an easy thing to share.

I wonder since people don’t know something is off with you, you likely treat people in a decent manner? You aren’t unkind to others in your actions?
I've only told my therapists anything in depth. However, I have "dropped the friendly act" with people briefly if they test my patience. It's an excellent trait to have in handy when you're cornered in a parking lot by a vaguely predatory guy who's taking your "kindness" way too far and trying to guilt trip you into giving him your phone number. In retrospect, it's probably saved me more than once.

For the most part, though, I come off as very kind. And it's mostly genuine. I really don't mind helping people, and I enjoy chatting with nearly anyone. However, when I start getting closer to people and letting my guard down a little, they quickly notice that I'm a lot colder than I appear at first glance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTrees View Post
It is an interesting conundrum Theoretical. In another post you mentioned having to move every couple of years when people start to wonder. I suppose I worry for you that sharing your lack of feeling with a friend may trigger situations leading to a need for another move. Idk. Though I also understand your desire to open up and just be entirely yourself with someone. I don't really know what to recommend here honestly but I'm happy to read your thoughts. I suppose a question I have is what would be the goal....if you tell someone how you really feel/don't feel...what's your objective? To feel truly known? Something else?

I worry for you but perhaps I'm just being an ol' mother hen?? Cluck! Cluck!
I'm going to move soon regardless, mostly for better career opportunities. The thing is - This friend in question wants to apply at the same location and be roommates with me so that we can save on rent, which is really high in that area for one-bedroom apartments. I've had roommates before, and yes, they did notice that I was a bit cold, though they didn't realize the extent of it. I'm not so sure about this potential roommate, and I don't want her to realize that fact a month into a yearlong lease, especially considering that she won't have any other emotional support nearby (neither of us have friends or family there).

If she is bothered by it, we're both moving anyway, so it isn't going to be a huge risk.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote