View Single Post
Anonymous44076

Default Jun 17, 2019 at 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoretical View Post
Okay, so...... I tried.

My friend came over last night and unloaded her emotional baggage on my couch. I'm starting to get the impression that she's treating these chit-chats with me as therapy sessions, which is odd. I may start a separate thread on that, because I've got a feeling it'll be an ongoing thing.

So Amy, the friend, has been developing feelings for Ben, a co-worker of ours who's been going through a rather messy divorce. Like, his soon-to-be-ex-wife physically attacked him with a weapon "messy." Ben also has feelings for Amy, and now he wants to follow her to pursue a relationship where he's actually happy. Which is great for me, because then she'll have a source of emotional support that isn't me. Amy, on the other hand, has been in a panic over the whole thing, and has been venting to me because she doesn't know what else to do about it. Which, sure, lay it on me.

After she'd finished venting, she told me that she wished I could be as open with her as she is with me. So here's my cue, right? Time to come clean. I tried to tell her somewhat gently because she's already got a lot on her plate, and her finding out she's just confessed some of her deepest fears to a psychopath probably wouldn't go over well. So I just tell her like, "I don't really get emotions, you know?"

She nods fervently, tells me she "gets it." I'm just not a very open person, and she needs to teach me how to open up. She doesn't get it, but she won't hear otherwise, so.... Yeah.
Well, you took a shot! Haha!

Re: Amy and Ben.
Bad idea. He needs to get some therapy and finish his divorce and heal before launching into another relationship. If she gets involved with him now, she'll likely wind up feeling miserable. So will he.

Re: Amy and you
She needs to find herself a therapist and stop using you as her quasi-therapist. That's not healthy for her or for you. I've had this dynamic with a lot of friends...I get tired of it and then end the friendship....because it's not true friendship when you start to feel like someone's shrink. Plus it's typically a very one-sided dynamic.

Is she the one you might move in with? I don't think that's a great idea. She sounds really needy and will probably drive you up the wall. Or I should say, she'd drive me up the wall eventually if I lived with her. I also have a hunch (though of course I don't know her) that she enjoys a bit of drama in her life....drama queens are exhausting.

Just my thoughts. As always, you can take 'em or leave 'em. Thank you for sharing, Theoretical.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Iloivar