View Single Post
Anonymous46341

Default Jun 18, 2019 at 12:28 PM

Though many struggle with anxiety, periods of depression, agitation, anger, and other uncomfortable feelings, not all qualify for a diagnosable mental health disorder. However, I assume most here do. Either way, there are several strategies that can be helpful to ease psychological issues. For those without a diagnosable disorder, such strategies may be sufficient. For those with a disorder, they can be great adjuncts to medication treatment. How often do people on medications complain that it’s not working well enough? Unfortunately, it’s not always enough to expect a pill (or pills) to do a whole job or solve all problems.

Everyone here with bipolar disorder has had hypomanic or manic episodes, and most all have also had depression and perhaps mixed states. Anxiety, agitation, stress, and other symptoms are also common. What are some things we can do as “adjuncts” to medication(s) to increase efficacy against mood/psych symptoms? I’d like to offer a few that help me. Please post more for this list, if you would. I am just starting with depression.

If people like this idea, maybe future threads could focus on other symptoms (i.e. hypo/mania, agitation, anger, anxiety, etc.) What do you think? Please share your “adjunct” strategies for wellness.

Depression

Some of my initial ideas, include:

Challenging dysfunctional thinking – Situations are rarely as hopeless or terrible as they seem, and bad situations will eventually ease. Have you ever used a Dysfunctional Thought Record to challenge negative/catastrophic thinking? A description and link to one is at Putting Your Thoughts on Trial: How to Use CBT Thought Records | International Bipolar Foundation

Pushing yourself to be (more) active can help – I don’t like the saying “Fake it until you make it”, however, there is something to pushing yourself to be more productive than you’d otherwise be, during depression. Even the smallest accomplishments or the smallest little pleasures help over time. My experience has been to set a short list of doable tasks with a short list of “would be great, if I could” tasks. Even achieving some (not all) of the doables is an accomplishment, when I’d otherwise do none. Doing a “would be great if” task is stupendous! Exercise, unloading (but not necessarily loading) the dishwasher, or sending one email are examples. Exercise could be walking just one block. My therapist tells me to ask myself “How long would it really take?” When you remind yourself that unloading the dishwasher takes only 5 minutes max, the task doesn’t seem like such a mountain to climb. Then, you may be on a roll, and load the sucker, too. Triumph!

Figuratively “vomiting” out some of the depression – Sounds yucky, but can work for me. Spilling out depressive symptoms onto a page/computer or someone’s ear (like a therapist), or dancing it out can be a welcome form of relief. Let it out and then try to separate yourself from it, if possible.

You look/smell better, you might feel better – We can’t all manage perfect grooming when depressed, but even the smallest self-care tasks can make a difference.

Don’t let yourself seem/be totally alone – Depression can make us isolate, but too much isolation can be bad. Don’t have friends or family around? Pets are great emotional support. Going to a café for just 15 mins and seeing a smile or hearing “Hello” can help. Or even just being around others can be a comfort.

Don’t be blind to the beauty in the world – Nature, music, friendly people, soft sheets, coolness on the underside of your pillow, the smell of cinnamon or coffee. Practicing mindfulness can take us out of misery for bits of time to varying degrees, and remind us that there is beauty in this world. This stuff matters!

Humor, even dry or sarcastic – I know it’s hard to laugh when depressed, but sometimes a bit of humor does cut through. Ever try to put on your favorite comedy show to see if the comedian/iene can succeed on you? Ever try to make a little joke about your own situation (self-deprecating humor)?

Just like meds, not every positive attempt is going to work, or it may take a number of tries to see results. The point is to keep trying.

If people like this idea, maybe future threads could focus on other symptoms (i.e. hypo/mania, agitation, anger, anxiety, etc.) What do you think? Please share your “adjunct” strategies for wellness.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
lightly toasted, Sunflower123

Thanks for this!
blueoceaneyes, Innerzone, lightly toasted, Nammu, Sunflower123, ~Christina