View Single Post
MuseumGhost
Grand Magnate

Member Since Apr 2012
12.3k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 18, 2019 at 01:47 PM

Like resurgam, I've been working hard at distancing myself from damaging family members and all of the hurt and confusion they sowed in my life. In my case, it took an awfully long time to realize I needed to do this. But once I was able to start this process (consciously making the decision to choose my own way to "be"), I felt better.

Getting over past hurts, and the damage they can do, can take awhile. But once you begin, it only gets better. I've been working on these things for 20 years now, and I'm still having "a-ha" moments, where I grasp the connection between a certain feeling deeply instilled in me, and the moment it was probably formed.

It really wasn't me, being "too sensitive", or, "too emotional". My feelings were legitimate...and truth be told, theirs were not, and were often aimed at achieving small power trips, all the way to manipulating individual's behavior through fear and a kind of forced type of respect. (But it was not genuine or properly earned.)

Gaining these insights is very therapeutic, and most importantly, they give me the courage to continue.

Stay strong. Stay true to yourself. Good luck with your journey!
MuseumGhost is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote