View Single Post
Scooter9
Poohbah

Member Since May 2018
80 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 18, 2019 at 05:53 PM

Thanks for creating this thread @BirdDancer.

I have been depressed for 18 months now and needed a way to help myself while I waited for my pdoc to find a good combination of meds that worked. So I kept a journal of the things that I did and stayed positive. I can't say it was always easy and I admit I failed a number of times but I can say I'm helping myself and feeling a little better because of it.

I took all the things I learned and wrote and published a book about it. These tips are from my book. They are habits that you practice each day in the hopes of helping yourself feel better.

Here are some of the habits...

* Have a regular sleep schedule and try to keep your sleep to somewhere between 8 and 10 hours

* Watch those recurring thoughts

It's easy to fall into thoughts like "will I ever get better", "I'm so depressed" and related thoughts. While it's ok to have those thoughts they do tend to be recurring and can end up fulfilling themselves. If you find yourself repeating the same thoughts, just acknowledge them and let them pass by you.

* Find your strengths

Everyone is good at something and sometimes it takes work and time to find what it is but the search is worth it. Keep a journal and explore your abilities - you might be surprised at what you find!

* Reflect on your past

Think about everything you have done to get to where you are now and you might just find that you were brave, thoughtful, insightful, or many other positive traits. Sure we have all made mistakes but this reflection is about the good you did to get to where you are and give yourself some credit!

* Have deep conversations

They can be in person or online. Deep conversations help build relationships and your confidence. They also show you just how much you know and might not give yourself credit for when you're feeling down.

* Try a hobby

If you had one maybe try it again. I gave up my hobbies when I fell into a deep depression but I forced myself back into it. I hoped to spark motivation again. It was a long road but it worked. I'm able to persue my hobby now - it still takes effort some days but at least I'm doing something that interests me.

* Give your life a meaning

It could be something religious, or volunteering, or maybe mentoring someone, or even taking care of a pet. Give yourself a reason to get up and get going, even when you're feeling bad. For me it was my work. I just kept on going and found meaning in it for myself. I admit it's not always easy but at least I can get up knowing that I'm making a difference and that helps when I'm feeling bad.

* Enjoy the small moments

We tend to overlook the things that go well in our lives and the little things that are easy to miss. Like the way the sun comes through the window, or the fact that we were able to get out of bed this morning.

That's all I can type on my phone for now but I hope it helps you. Pick one or more of them and do them every day. Track your progress in a journal and reflect on your successes.

I'm still struggling with depression but I feel I'm helping myself now which is making a difference.

My avatar picture is a photo of the Whirlpool Galaxy I took in April 2023. I dedicated this photo to my sister who passed away in July 2016.
Scooter9 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous46341, Sunflower123

Thanks for this!
blueoceaneyes, luvyrself, Nammu, Sunflower123, ~Christina