Lrad123
Poohbah

Member Since Nov 2017
372 hugs
given
Default Jun 19, 2019 at 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudFox View Post
I'm talking about the therapy relationship. It echoes other oppressive relationships... dictatorial boss, abusive parent, controlling parent, neglectful parent, abusive partner, authoritarian/paternalistic doctor, schoolyard bully, etc.
This is interesting to me because in general I believe my therapist is good and that his goal is to help me, but I do have moments when I feel angry at him and I do feel some of the things you’ve expressed above. For me at least, I think I feel that occasional anger and distrust towards my T because I’ve experienced those things growing up in my family and it’s easy for me to go to the place of believing my T is that way too. In my therapy I would ideally then tell my T that this is how he makes me feel, and talking about it and how I’ve felt that way in other parts of my life has been quite helpful. Not going to therapy would allow me not to consciously feel these angry emotions, but I suspect they’d still be there and show up in my life in other perhaps unconscious ways.
Lrad123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
divine1966, feileacan