View Single Post
Anonymous44076

Default Jun 19, 2019 at 01:56 PM

Hello Misery Business,

thank you for sharing your truth with us here and welcome to PC Sorry you are struggling with anxiety.

I live with PTSD myself and the docs think it's been present since my childhood. I'm a lot older than you...in my 30s now. I understand how challenging anxiety can be. I also think it sounds like you found yourself a good therapist! While it will likely be challenging for you to take on a summer job, I think that could be a very healthy challenge.

Something I've learned over time about anxiety is that it can shrink a person's life if not kept in check. I saw this happen with both of my parents. Their worlds grew smaller and smaller as more and more things made them anxious. So as young as you are, I think it is a great time to branch out and not let the anxiety rule over your life. By that I do *not mean that it's going to be easy or like flipping a switch....more like something to chip away at in small increments. Then in time, you look back and think: Wow! I did that!

Any interest in mindfulness and meditation? Those help me a great deal. The earlier a person learns about those, the sooner they can make them daily habits. They are research-based methods for ameliorating anxiety.

You may also be interested to read about radical acceptance. That has helped me with a couple of situations in my life which were unpleasant and I had zero control over the outcome.

Re: a summer job....work can really help with mental wellness by providing structure, routine, and a sense of connection and accomplishment. I was listening to a psychologist talking the other day about how he helps his clients. He said the first thing he always asks is: do you have a job? Because based on his clinical experience, he finds that clients experience a greater sense of chaos and lack of purpose when they don't have some level of work in their life. And of course that will mean different things for different people. A few hours a week volunteering, part-time work, full-time work.

I wish you peace, hope, and a bright future! You deserve it
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
happysobercrafter, winter4me

Thanks for this!
happysobercrafter, winter4me