View Single Post
Skeezyks
Disreputable Old Troll

Member Since Oct 2015
17.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Jun 19, 2019 at 02:13 PM

Thanks for bringing your concern here to PC. I recall replying to your first post here.

You asked if you will lose your creativity if you stop daydreaming. And you asked if you should stop or just take it easier. Honestly, I don't know the answer to that. And I doubt anyone else does either for certain. My intuition suggests to me that there isn't any specific relationship between daydreaming & creativity. So I would doubt stopping or decreasing daydreaming would necessarily have any impact on your creativity. But I don't know that for a fact.

I don't know how one would be able to stop daydreaming, practically speaking. It's one thing to think about doing it. It's something entirely different to actually make it happen. In a sense, I suspect it would be sort-of like the idea of "don't think about pink elephants"; & then all you can think about is pink elephants! The more you try to make yourself not daydream, the more you may find yourself doing exactly that. And, as I recall, you've had some issues surrounding OCD. Trying to make yourself stop daydreaming might, I would fear, possibly feed into any OCD-like tendencies you already have. There again I don't know that for a fact. (I'm not a mental health professional.) But that would be my concern. If it is possible for you to simply take it a bit easier, as you mentioned, I certainly don't see any problem with that, there again, as long as it doesn't morph into an ongoing struggle.

Here are links to 7 articles, from Psych Central's archives, on the subject of daydreaming including one "Ask the Therapist" column where a person wrote in asking about daydreaming:

Is There Such a Thing as Too Much Daydreaming?

Daydreaming - Creativity or Avoidance | The Creative Mind

Need to Generate Another Big Idea? Try Daydreaming!

What Happens When Daydreaming Is Intentional?

Daydreaming May Be Sign of Intelligence

https://psychcentral.com/lib/harness...our-daydreams/

https://psychcentral.com/ask-the-the...p-fantasizing/

"I may be older but I am not wise / I'm still a child's grown-up disguise / and I never can tell you what you want to know / You will find out as you go." (from: "A Nightengale's Lullaby" - Julie Last)
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
happysobercrafter, MickeyCheeky

Thanks for this!
happysobercrafter, Iloivar, MickeyCheeky