View Single Post
Anonymous44076

Default Jun 19, 2019 at 09:01 PM

No. Neither of those. Purely across species....so viewing a human life as more important than that of a dog or a shark etc. If it comes back to me, I'll add the term.

I had a chat one eve in the offline world about animals with two guys who were convinced that all animals lack intelligence. I was surprised because there's now a lot of research on some animals' problem-solving skills etc. I mentioned the example of orca whales (MRI of the brain indicated an extra branch on the limbic system compared to humans....their brain in that regard is actually more advanced than ours). They responded with: yeah but an orca couldn't build a theater. Anyway, I couldn't understand why they badly wanted to believe that humans are the only species with intelligence. Then I was reading about this phenomenon whereby humans typically view their species as more valuable and superior to all others. As in: while driving would you swerve to avoid hitting a baby or a puppy? Most humans will say they'll try to avoid hitting the baby because it seems more wrong to harm their own species. It's thought to be an evolutionary mechanism to continue one's species by placing greater value on its survival. @theoretical added another important piece to it but I will let them explain that if they like

Anyway, I can't remember the name of that phenomenon.

And of course I don't have the answers on this topic. Shark finning infuriates me and I love sharks. But I'm no longer a vegetarian (though I don't eat shark meat)....so what does that mean? Haha. These things could be argued multiple ways. Researchers are still debating about how lobsters are cooked...whether it's cruel. One country banned the practice because they believe it is cruel. While others argue that they don't actually register pain....they are simply moving away from heat in response to heat sensors. The explanation I read on that was very long and detailed....I couldn''t do it justice here. Me? Idk. I have eaten lobster but never cooked one. I have also not watched one being cooked live in the pot. I read a description, I don't think I could watch.

Last edited by Anonymous44076; Jun 19, 2019 at 09:29 PM..
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote