View Single Post
WastingAsparagus
Student of Life

Member Since Mar 2014
2,911 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 19, 2019 at 11:34 PM

@SilverTrees, yes I am a scholar of philosophy.

Yes, I believe that anthropocentrism is interesting to study. Generally speaking, I think humans will by default think they are superior to other animals. I don't know, perhaps sometimes I thought that in the past, additionally, because some elementary school teacher told me humans were at the top of the food chain or something like that. All jokes aside, broadly speaking, anthropocentrism might deny in certain cases that other animals have feeling and suffering, which is a philosophy I definitely cannot get behind. Or, the less extreme (and more palatable) view is that other animals' suffering matters less than that of human beings. Once again, it's a philosophy I cannot really get behind. I think once you introduce animals as moral agents, they ought to be treated morally on the same level as humans. Also, from a purely psychological perspective, I think it's interesting to view biases in the human consciousness, like how humans potentially could believe that animals cannot feel pain, or that they have a different capacity for pain than humans do.
WastingAsparagus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote