Member Since May 2019
6,984 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 20, 2019 at 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTrees View Post
June 19th

Are you living "deliberately" like Thoreau?
I knew Thoreau was an American philosopher who loved nature and advocated for preserving it but didn't remember much else about him so here's some info:

Thoreau gravitated toward Stoic philosophy, Hindu and Buddhist insights, and European idealism and romanticism; he was an eclectic thinker weaving together various philosophies to formulate his own unique strain of American thought......
Thoreau’s philosophy seeks to bring out the uncommon in the common. This is the approach guiding Thoreau’s philosophy, but in his deployment of it on diverse topics, Thoreau’s creativity offers startling observations and insights. His creativity, his highly refined prose, and the autobiographical origins of his writings often conceal Thoreau’s philosophical rigor; but woven throughout his texts are the concept of wildness and Thoreau’s ceaseless attempts to celebrate and elaborate what it means. From his antislavery essays to his travel narratives, wildness is the recurring philosophical theme. (Thoreau, Henry David | Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

I think Thoureau liked to spend time in nature and is one of the people who convinced our country's leaders to establish the National parks (or some form of it). I used to spend lots of time in nature (my backyard was the National Forest, the field in front of our house, the local rancher's corn field in the Summer/pasteur in the Winter). I miss it and my husband and I hope to spend more time in the wilderness someday. Wanting to live simply and spend more time outside is one area in which my goals may be similiar to Thereaus.
TunedOut is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Sunflower123

Thanks for this!
Sunflower123