View Single Post
Anonymous43089

Default Jun 21, 2019 at 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open Eyes View Post
Here is a way to consider what "loss" can mean to someone.
I understand, and yes, I can use cognitive empathy in lieu of genuine emotion. But it isn't going to be genuine or have any real depth, regardless of what I do. I'm just wondering if you would be okay with that, or perhaps you would prefer something else.

Take your parable of the bird in the horse stall, for example. You mentioned that you felt something which compelled you to assist the bird. I have no such feeling, and I wouldn't feel compelled to do anything about the bird. I still might, but it wouldn't be coming from any feelings of empathy, and no amount of rationalizing is going to change that. Likewise, when you see someone grieving, I'd imagine you feel something which compels you to help them, even if it's only offering a hug or a sympathy card. I just don't get that. And some people can tell that there's no genuine emotion behind the act.

Or maybe you don't feel anything and you send your condolences for some other reason? Social etiquette? I don't know why people do things...
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Open Eyes

Thanks for this!
Open Eyes