View Single Post
starfishing

Member Since May 2017
Default Jun 23, 2019 at 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandalouise View Post
the mental health system in america is set up in such a way that treatment providers must work to promote independence and self nurturing of one self and their problems. there is a set amount of sessions per year someone can have and at intervals (usually on a yearly or every 6 months) the treatment provider and client must review why they are in therapy, what the therapy goals are and whether those goals are being completed.
What stopdog said--this isn't true across the US mental health system. Visit limits dictated by insurance are actually illegal in many situations in the US because of mental health parity laws. And there's no obligation to discuss goals. Personally, my therapist and I never discuss "goals" in the structured way you're describing. I would probably fire any therapist who did.

As for whether "need" is allowed... IMO feelings of need should always be allowed in therapy. Whether those needs are realistically ones the therapist can meet is a different story, but there should always be room to discuss the clients needs and wants and how they feel about them.
starfishing is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
circlesincircles, feralkittymom, LonesomeTonight, Merope, Taylor27, UnderRugSwept