Lrad123
Poohbah

Member Since Nov 2017
372 hugs
given
Default Jun 23, 2019 at 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfishing View Post
Interesting! I like how you described it. I go back and forth on this, but right now I do feel like I need things from my therapist. I need him to be trustworthy and reliable, to be present and attentive during our sessions, to care about my wellbeing, to be knowledgeable about my needs, to be insightful and deliberate in what he says and asks, and I need to know that he and I are working towards the same things in my therapy. In some ways these are pretty basic job requirements, in others they're pretty demanding. Sometimes simultaneously both.

Some of these needs are "within therapy" needs, where it's more about what I require in order to engage in therapy. Some are just needs, that I could meet elsewhere too or instead. In some cases I do also meet those needs elsewhere. The general needs that I don't meet elsewhere tend to point to key things I'm working on in therapy, so it's interesting to think about what categories various things fall into.
Well, maybe it’s about semantics and how you define the word “needs” because I want the things you describe too. Consistency, reliability, trustworthiness and all the things you describe are essential and I suppose I would not have stayed with him without those things. When we start talking about emotional needs, I’m not sure that I “need” anything from him although there are things that would be nice, but not necessary if that makes any sense. I can certainly fulfill some needs elsewhere and I’m just not sure how to use my therapist for other “needs.” I’m still trying to figure that part out. I guess this is sort of what the OP was asking.
Lrad123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Merope, starfishing