View Single Post
starfishing

Member Since May 2017
Default Jun 23, 2019 at 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrad123 View Post
Well, maybe it’s about semantics and how you define the word “needs” because I want the things you describe too. Consistency, reliability, trustworthiness and all the things you describe are essential and I suppose I would not have stayed with him without those things. When we start talking about emotional needs, I’m not sure that I “need” anything from him although there are things that would be nice, but not necessary if that makes any sense. I can certainly fulfill some needs elsewhere and I’m just not sure how to use my therapist for other “needs.” I’m still trying to figure that part out. I guess this is sort of what the OP was asking.
Well, for what it's worth I initially wrote that list out as wants... And then realized that for me an (as you put it) "essential" want is another way of saying need. Allowing myself to need my therapist in a broader sense is at most a complicated work in progress for me, not a straightforward situation at all. But over time I've come to feel a bit more clearly that I have some needs I've been ignoring that are now showing up in therapy in various ways.
starfishing is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Lrad123, Merope