Comfy Sedation

Member Since Sep 2012
8,149 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 24, 2019 at 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeycat View Post
Someone suggested that I post here. My BF has ostracized me from his life after asking too many questions about his paranoia (I didn’t realize at the time it could be it). What can I do to get him help? I’ve contacted his family and they’ve just ignored it. He’s been isolating himself and I’m the only one in his life that cares enough to try.
It's pretty hard to reason w someone with paranoia and hallucinations, the basics of this illness is that when we are In the throes of psychosis we do not think we are ill, aka have zero or minimal insight. Of course that can be helped, but for most in the early stages they are unable to see that what they are experiencing isnt real, and trying to tell them so might just make them angry, defensive, more paranoid, and more isolative

Gently letting him know you're here , if he wants to talk, not showing judgement, fear, uncomfortableness, or trying to reason him out of it. For me it helps to rant abt my thoughts and not have someone try to offer solutions . .sometimes we just wanna b heard and not waved off as a lunatic

With that said some people just dont respond to any attempts to help them. And it is truly very sad.

Thanks for this!
ofthevalley